We use the following criteria to assess the level and title of our data analysts at Box Products. These criteria aren’t exhaustive, and they aren’t mere checklists. They’re a guidance to having an individualized discussion about career progression.
General job description
- Analyzes complex business problems and issues using data from internal and external sources to provide insight to decision-makers.
- Identifies and interprets trends and patterns in datasets to locate influences.
- Constructs forecasts, recommendations and strategic/tactical plans based on business data and market knowledge.
- Creates specifications for reports and analysis based on business needs and required or available data elements.
- May provide consultation to users and lead cross-functional teams to address business issues.
- May directly produce datasets and reports for analysis using system reporting tools.
Level specific traits
Senior Data Analyst (L3)
- Work doesn’t necessarily need to be reviewed, but general approach may be.
- Comfortable operating as a manager of one, self-directing scope of work and setting timelines independently.
- Can provide informed advice to other teams on how best to approach data-related problems.
- Usually at least 5 years of experience.
Lead Data Analyst (L4)
- Work happens completely autonomously with no regular need for review.
- Helps set and maintain professional standards for the entire organization.
- Capable of running and directing small self-organized teams for projects.
- Writes new procedures and documentation regularly; trains others throughout the company on how to access data unaided.
- Capable of making substantial, independent changes to the data analytics tooling and workflow.
- Usually at least 8 years of experience.
Principal Data Analyst (L5)
- Can set and direct an entire department towards one goal and capable of running and directing those teams for substantive long-term projects.
- Invents new concepts, pushes the whole organization forward regularly.
- Regularly publishes and shares analysis process insights inside and outside the company.
- Capable of designing and architecting new data analytics tooling and workflows.
- Usually at least 12 years of experience.